Monday, April 2, 2012

The first poem I want to focus on is The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock. While reading about the major themes in this poem, I realized that many critics were torn with what they considered the main theme. Some thought that the narrator was scared to ask a woman to marry him, while others thought he was afraid of being turned down sexually. Either way, Prufrock did not want to face rejection. Throughout the poem, Prufrock seems to lack confidence: "Do I dare? and, Do I dare?" line 38 Eliot. He also compares himself to others: "No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be" line 111 Eliot. Instead of comparing himself to people who are "better" than him, he needs to focus on the good things about himself. I feel like many people act the same way today. Many people are lacking a lot of confidence because they don't think they compare to the people in the magazines they read. It's sad because half of those celebrites don't even look that way in real life. But my point is, I see many people today that relate to Prufrock because they don't believe in themselves.

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T(homas) S(tearns) Eliot. Poetry Criticism. Ed. Ellen McGeagh. Vol. 31. Detroit: Gale Group, 2001. 89-198. Literature Criticism Online. Gale. Tarrant County College. 2 April 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment